The Environmental Investigation Agency (EIA) is an independent campaigning organisation that has been protecting animals and the environment with intelligence for almost 30 years. It is committed to bringing about change that protects the natural world from environmental crime and abuse. EIA’s vision is a future where humanity respects, protects and celebrates the natural world for the benefit of all.
Undercover investigations and determined campaigns have saved the lives of hundreds of thousands of wild animals including tigers, elephants, whales and dolphins. EIA actively protects habitats by exposing environmental crimes, particularly illegal logging and the illegal trade in chemicals that damage the ozone layer and contribute to climate change.
EIA Trust is a newly formed entity that supports the work of EIA through securing and making grants to the organisation.
Chair of Board of Trustees
EIA Trust is seeking an experienced and engaged individual to chair the Board of Trustees. This is an unpaid role, although reasonable expenses will be refunded in line with EIA policies.
The Chair is expected to attend a minimum of four meetings a year, some of which will be face-to-face while others may be via Skype/conference call. In addition, the Chair may wish to establish sub-committees which may require active involvement.
The Chair of the Board will also be expected to attend fundraising events, etc.
The Chair of the Board will serve a term of three years, with potential to expand to a further three years after the first term ends. The Chair will only be able to serve a maximum of two terms.
• Working with the Trustees to oversee the professional management and development of EIA Trust
• Providing support to any Officers, delegated Officers or Clerks of EIA Trust and ensuring that the charity is run in accordance with the decisions of the Trustees, the charity’s governing document, and appropriate legislation
• Liaising with the Clerk to the Board to plan Trustee meetings and ensuring Trust business is managed efficiently and effectively in those meetings
• Working with the Board of Trustees to fulfil the Trust responsibilities for the governance of the charit
• Contributing to the development and implementation of procedures for board induction, development and training
• Liaising with the Clerk to the Board to lead on the planning, setting and chairing of Trustee meetings
• Ensuring Trustee decisions are carried out
• Authorising actions such as banking transactions and authorising legal documents in accordance with approved mandates
• Maintaining the Trustees’ commitment to the Trust’s governing document
• Ensuring that the performance of the Board as a whole and the Trustees individually are reviewed annually
• Significant experience of working at a Senior Management/Leadership level
• Demonstrated significant experience of chairing meetings and/or committees
• Significant understanding of and commitment to the work of EIA Trust or its family of associated organisations (EIA UK, EIA USA)
• Familiarity with budgets and financial planning
• A willingness to engage contacts to advance the work of EIA Trust
• Understanding and commitment to environmental protection and wildlife conservation issues
• Experience of being a trustee or board member of a charity or not-for-profit
• Prior experience with EIA or one of its associated organisations
• Experience of fundraising, marketing, media or communications activities, ideally for a charity or not-for-profit (this could have been on a voluntary basis)
• Leadership experience in the environmental community or a related field
To apply for the post, please send a letter of application stating the skills and approach that you would bring to the post, along with your CV in English BY EMAIL ONLY to Jennifer Lonsdale at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications sent by other means will not be considered. Documents must be sent as Word files, with the titles “your name cover letter” and “your name CV”. Please put Chair of Trustees – EIA Trust in the email subject line and state how you heard about the role.
The deadline for applications is 10am (BST) on Wednesday, September 12, 2012
Interviews will be held on Wednesday, September 19, 2012.